For Animal LoversMarch 17, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Posted in animals, social comment | 1 Comment
Tags: Animal, animal abuse, Animal shelter, Dog, irresponsible pet owners, Pet, pet owners, Pet store, pets, unwanted animals, unwanted pets
The shelter manager’s letter:”I am posting this (and it is long) because I think our society needs a huge wake-up call.
As a shelter manager, I am going to share a little insight with you all – a view from the inside, if you will.
Maybe if you saw the life drain from a few sad, lost, confused eyes, you would change your mind about breeding and selling to people you don’t even know – that puppy you just sold will most likely end up in my shelter when it’s not a cute little puppy anymore.
How would you feel if you knew that there’s about a 90% chance that dog will never walk out of the shelter it is going to be dumped at – purebred or not! About 50% of all of the dogs that are “owner surrenders” or “strays” that come into my shelter are purebred dogs.
No shortage of excuses
The most common excuses I hear are:
We are moving and we can’t take our dog (or cat).
Really? Where are you moving to that doesn’t allow pets?
The dog got bigger than we thought it would.
How big did you think a German Shepherd would get?
We don’t have time for her.
Really? I work a 10-12 hour day and still have time for my 6 dogs!
She’s tearing up our yard.
How about bringing her inside, making her a part of your family?
They always tell me:
We just don’t want to have to stress about finding a place for her. We know she’ll get adopted – she’s a good dog. Odds are your pet won’t get adopted, and how stressful do you think being in a shelter is?
Well, let me tell you. Dead pet walking!
Your pet has 72 hours to find a new family from the moment you drop it off, sometimes a little longer if the shelter isn’t full and your dog manages to stay completely healthy.
If it sniffles, it dies.
Your pet will be confined to a small run / kennel in a room with about 25 other barking or crying animals. It will have to relieve itself where it eats and sleeps. It will be depressed and it will cry constantly for the family that abandoned it.
If your pet is lucky, I will have enough volunteers that day to take him / her for a walk. If I don’t, your pet won’t get any attention besides having a bowl of food slid under the kennel door and the waste sprayed out of its pen with a high-powered hose.
If your dog is big, black or any of the “bully” breeds (pit bull, rottweiler, mastiff, etc) it was pretty much dead when you walked it through the front door. Those dogs just don’t get adopted.
If your dog doesn’t get adopted within its 72 hours and the shelter is full, it will be destroyed.
If the shelter isn’t full and your dog is good enough, and of a desirable enough breed, it may get a stay of execution, though not for long. Most pets get very kennel protective after about a week and are destroyed for showing aggression. Even the sweetest dogs will turn in this environment.
If your pet makes it over all of those hurdles, chances are it will get kennel cough or an upper respiratory infection and will be destroyed because shelters just don’t have the funds to pay for even a $100 treatment.
The grim reaper
Here’s a little euthanasia 101 for those of you that have never witnessed a perfectly healthy, scared animal being “put-down”.
First, your pet will be taken from its kennel on a leash. They always look like they think they are going for a walk – happy, wagging their tails. That is, until they get to “The Room”.
Every one of them freaks out and puts on the breaks when we get to the door. It must smell like death, or they can feel the sad souls that are left in there. It’s strange, but it happens with every one of them. Your dog or cat will be restrained, held down by 1 or 2 vet techs (depending on their size and how freaked out they are). A euthanasia tech or a vet will start the process. They find a vein in the front leg and inject a lethal dose of the “pink stuff”. Hopefully your pet doesn’t panic from being restrained and jerk it’s leg. I’ve seen the needles tear out of a leg and been covered with the resulting blood, and been deafened by the yelps and screams.
They all don’t just “go to sleep” – sometimes they spasm for a while, gasp for air and defecate on themselves.
When it all ends, your pet’s corpse will be stacked like firewood in a large freezer in the back, with all of the other animals that were killed, waiting to be picked up like garbage.
What happens next? Cremated? Taken to the dump? Rendered into pet food? You’ll never know, and it probably won’t even cross your mind. It was just an animal, and you can always buy another one, right?
Liberty, freedom and justice for all
I hope that those of you that have read this are bawling your eyes out and can’t get the pictures out of your head. I do everyday on the way home from work. I hate my job, I hate that it exists and I hate that it will always be there unless people make some changes and realize that the lives you are affecting go much farther than the pets you dump at a shelter.
Between 9 and 11 MILLION animals die every year in shelters and only you can stop it. I do my best to save every life I can but rescues are always full, and there are more animals coming in everyday than there are homes.
My point to all of this is DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Hate me if you want to – the truth hurts and reality is what it is.
I just hope I maybe changed one person’s mind about breeding their dog, taking their loving pet to a shelter, or buying a dog. I hope that someone will walk into my shelter and say “I saw this thing on Facebook and it made me want to adopt”.
That would make it all worth it.”
- Disturbing Photos Capture the Realities of Euthanization at Animal Shelters (petapixel.com)
- 6 Tips for Picking the Perfect Shelter Dog (dogster.com)
- Wake County Animal Shelter at capacity, animals in need of homes (myfox8.com)
- Abuse Photos Released; San Bernardino Shelter Under Fire (dogster.com)
- Los Angeles Bans the Retail Sale of Dogs, Crushing Puppy Mills (dogster.com)
1 Comment »
- Dios nos libre de los populismos | Maikelnai's blog on Republican Revolt
- Honjii on Two pigeons, a grackle, and a Snickers bar
- What The Hell on Two pigeons, a grackle, and a Snickers bar
- mothers day ncert on End Oil Speculation Act of 2008 (Introduced in Senate)
- buy bitcoin with visa debit card on End Oil Speculation Act of 2008 (Introduced in Senate)
You’re welcome to follow, but I’m not really going anywhere.
- RT @Marknovakusa: I think if every major food and restaurant brand ran a pro-immigration add, we could starve the alt-right into extinction… 1 week ago
- @realDonaldTrump and here's something else to have a smart person explain to you, the #DunningKruger effect 1 week ago
- @realDonaldTrump and stop acting like a 2 bit banana republic dick-tator 1 week ago
- @realDonaldTrump You are not the boss of us, we are your boss. If you can't read the rules, have a smart person read them to you. 1 week ago
- RT @RoguePOTUSStaff: Please retweet and and spread the word. Continue to #resist and #persist . twitter.com/ActualEPAFacts… 1 week ago
- RT @hopedellon: Twitter friends: Please follow @FIRE_THE_FOOL & #FIRE_THE_FOOL as they start a new grassroots movement to stop Trump tyrann… 2 weeks ago
- #Trump #Trumplies What's that you say, @realDonaldTrump, no business investments in Russia? occupydemocrats.com/2016/10/31/oct… 3 months ago
- #trump #EmailScandal @realDonaldTrump in defiance of court orders newsweek.com/2016/11/11/don… 3 months ago
- @realDonaldTrump Let's talk about all the emails you destroyed, shall we. newsweek.com/2016/11/11/don… 3 months ago
Board Certified Blogger
One Lovely Blog Award
Poulet-Sir Prize AwardThis much coveted award is for bloggers who have a sense of humor, are smarter than a and not too chicken to say what they think. Feel free to award this to any blogger you feel is deserving of such a prestigious award. Rules: 1. Proudly display the award on your blog with a link back to Honjii and a link back to the blogger, along with his/her name, who chose to award your blog. 2. Bestow this award, along with the rules, on a minimum of three blogs. 3. Contact the bloggers you've chosen and let them know of their incredibly life-altering good news. 4. Swear on your first born, or whatever you hold dear, never to mention these blogging awards are created by other self-serving bloggers trying to get more traffic altruistic bloggers who wish nothing more than acknowledging a blog well done.
Mad as Hell Doctors
Americans for Separation of Church & State
Feul My Blog
Copyright Notice© Honjii Li and Honjii's Harangues, 2012. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Honjii Li and Honjii's Harangues with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.