Wedgwood’s theory of evolutionMay 27, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Posted in creationism, evolution, I'm just saying, intelligent design, What if? | 6 Comments
Tags: Charles Darwin, Darwinism, Evolution, HMS Beagle, Irving Stone, Josiah Wedgwood
I’ve been reading The Origin, published in 1980, by Irving Stone. This is an ostensibly well researched account of Charles Darwin’s voyage on The H.M.S. Beagle and some background about Darwin’s family and the events that led him to being invited to sail around the world.
I’m only about one hundred and fifty pages in, it’s not exactly a page turner; he hasn’t even gotten on the damn boat yet. Stone’s thorough research includes a little too much information for my tastes. For example, he describes the facial features, down to the thickness of lips, the length of nose, the color of eyes and how they are set into the head, complexion, hair color, texture, style, etc. of every person with whom Darwin has any sort of interaction. It’s been somewhat of a snooze fest so far, and I’m finding I dislike Darwin’s family as they are a bit on the stuffy side.
Darwin’s family is quite wealthy. His father a well known physician as was his grandfather who was also a famous author. His mother was from the very wealthy Wedgwood family, founders of Wedgwood china.
Charles Darwin had planned to become a member of the clergy and was waiting for a parish to be assigned to him when, at the age of twenty-two, he was invited on what was to be a two year voyage aboard the H.M.S. Beagle. His father denied him permission to go, but after some debate agreed to allow it if he could find someone, deemed by Darwin senior, who was a reasonable person that thought the trip would be a good idea.
Charles appealed to his uncle, Josiah Wedgwood, to intervene on his behalf. Uncle Josiah thought the trip would be a wonderful opportunity for Charles and it was on his advice that Dr. Darwin allowed his son to take that fateful voyage…you know, the one that caused, and is still causing debate about all that evolution nonsense.
So, if it hadn’t been for Josiah Wedgwood there would be no Darwinian theory of evolution. I’m not saying someone else would not have made similar discoveries that led to similar conclusions leading us down the same path. What I am saying is how one small seemingly insignificant thing can have a major impact on the course of things to come.
I’m just saying…
- Great dynasties of the world: The Darwins (guardian.co.uk)
- Rio. Carnaval. Darwin? (scienceblogs.com)
- Darwin’s Archipelago (evolvingcomplexityii.wordpress.com)
- ArtsBeat: End in Sight for Darwin Letters Project Thanks to $8.2 Million in Grants (artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com)
6 Comments »
- Dios nos libre de los populismos | Maikelnai's blog on Republican Revolt
- Honjii on Two pigeons, a grackle, and a Snickers bar
- What The Hell on Two pigeons, a grackle, and a Snickers bar
- mothers day ncert on End Oil Speculation Act of 2008 (Introduced in Senate)
- buy bitcoin with visa debit card on End Oil Speculation Act of 2008 (Introduced in Senate)
You’re welcome to follow, but I’m not really going anywhere.
- #Trump #Trumplies What's that you say, @realDonaldTrump, no business investments in Russia? occupydemocrats.com/2016/10/31/oct… 2 months ago
- #trump #EmailScandal @realDonaldTrump in defiance of court orders newsweek.com/2016/11/11/don… 2 months ago
- @realDonaldTrump Let's talk about all the emails you destroyed, shall we. newsweek.com/2016/11/11/don… 2 months ago
- @HotNostrilsrFun this is relevant why? 3 months ago
- this is relevant why? 3 months ago
- @realDonaldTrump Where do you get off criticizing the way others look, do you own a mirror? You're repulsive to look at, and btw u r fat. 3 months ago
- #Trump Where does Trump get off criticizing the way others look, does he own a mirror? He is repulsive to look at, and btw, fat. 3 months ago
- @realDonaldTrump newsweek.com/2016/08/12/don… #TrumpFailures #TrumpLies #TrumpPence16 5 months ago
- #Kenichi Ebina 3 years ago
Board Certified Blogger
One Lovely Blog Award
Poulet-Sir Prize AwardThis much coveted award is for bloggers who have a sense of humor, are smarter than a and not too chicken to say what they think. Feel free to award this to any blogger you feel is deserving of such a prestigious award. Rules: 1. Proudly display the award on your blog with a link back to Honjii and a link back to the blogger, along with his/her name, who chose to award your blog. 2. Bestow this award, along with the rules, on a minimum of three blogs. 3. Contact the bloggers you've chosen and let them know of their incredibly life-altering good news. 4. Swear on your first born, or whatever you hold dear, never to mention these blogging awards are created by other self-serving bloggers trying to get more traffic altruistic bloggers who wish nothing more than acknowledging a blog well done.
Mad as Hell Doctors
Americans for Separation of Church & State
Feul My Blog
Copyright Notice© Honjii Li and Honjii's Harangues, 2012. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Honjii Li and Honjii's Harangues with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.