Interesting Little Boozer or Annoying the Intelligent DesignersJuly 31, 2008 at 6:28 am | Posted in Beliefs, creationism, evolution, god, I'm just saying, intelligent design, science, strange news | 4 Comments
Tags: alcohol consumption, beer, drinking, pen tailed tree shrew, shrew
A tiny Malaysian mammal known as the pen tailed tree shrew can booze it up with the best of them and still pass a field sobriety test (if they field tested tiny Malaysian mammals). These funny looking little creatures (pic below) spend about two hours every night drinking fermented nectar, from the flowers of the bertam palm, which has a 3.8% alcohol content similar to that of many beers, and consume amounts that would be dangerous for most mammals.
You’re probably wondering what this has to do with annoying the ID crowd who always posit something really profound like, “OH YEAH! Well if we evolved from apes/monkeys how come there are still apes/monkeys?” Then if you really want too have some fun with fundies you explain that we did not evolve from apes but that we (and apes) evolved from a common ancestor and that ancestor is believed to be a tree shrew. That said, the fundie will be sure you are completely nuts and have now proved his/her case for creation or intelligent design.
Because the species is considered similar to the ancient ancestors of all primates, its 55-million-year bender suggests that our own taste for alcohol might predate the known advent of brewing some 9,000 years ago.
“The circumstances in which these tree shrews consume alcohol could be similar to past scenarios of human evolution in pre-primate or early primate stages [and] could somehow be a link to human alcohol consumption,” said study lead author Frank Wiens, a biologist at the University of Bayreuth, Germany.
Not only did we evolve from tiny rodent like critters, it appears we got our drinking habits from them as well.
I’m just saying.
4 Comments »
- Dios nos libre de los populismos | Maikelnai's blog on Republican Revolt
- Honjii on Two pigeons, a grackle, and a Snickers bar
- What The Hell on Two pigeons, a grackle, and a Snickers bar
- mothers day ncert on End Oil Speculation Act of 2008 (Introduced in Senate)
- buy bitcoin with visa debit card on End Oil Speculation Act of 2008 (Introduced in Senate)
You’re welcome to follow, but I’m not really going anywhere.
- @HotNostrilsrFun this is relevant why? 3 weeks ago
- this is relevant why? 3 weeks ago
- @realDonaldTrump Where do you get off criticizing the way others look, do you own a mirror? You're repulsive to look at, and btw u r fat. 3 weeks ago
- #Trump Where does Trump get off criticizing the way others look, does he own a mirror? He is repulsive to look at, and btw, fat. 3 weeks ago
- @realDonaldTrump newsweek.com/2016/08/12/don… #TrumpFailures #TrumpLies #TrumpPence16 2 months ago
- #Kenichi Ebina 3 years ago
- #Westboro Baptist Church - Pastor: Fred Phelps is gay, pass it on 3 years ago
- @recoverstutter hmm you just 'liked' my blog post that contains this wording... 3 years ago
Board Certified Blogger
One Lovely Blog Award
Poulet-Sir Prize AwardThis much coveted award is for bloggers who have a sense of humor, are smarter than a and not too chicken to say what they think. Feel free to award this to any blogger you feel is deserving of such a prestigious award. Rules: 1. Proudly display the award on your blog with a link back to Honjii and a link back to the blogger, along with his/her name, who chose to award your blog. 2. Bestow this award, along with the rules, on a minimum of three blogs. 3. Contact the bloggers you've chosen and let them know of their incredibly life-altering good news. 4. Swear on your first born, or whatever you hold dear, never to mention these blogging awards are created by other self-serving bloggers trying to get more traffic altruistic bloggers who wish nothing more than acknowledging a blog well done.
Mad as Hell Doctors
Americans for Separation of Church & State
Feul My Blog
Copyright Notice© Honjii Li and Honjii's Harangues, 2012. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Honjii Li and Honjii's Harangues with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.