Sticks and Stones Can Break Bones, but Names Get You SuedApril 21, 2007 at 2:55 am | Posted in Current Events, Entertainment, modern trends, News, rants, social comment, stupidity | 1 Comment
This morning while fixing breakfast I switched on the television hoping to catch the weather report. I got the Tyra Banks show and as I was about to hit the channel button I paused as I heard her say her guests were victims of Michael Richards comedy club tirade last year, and are now considering a lawsuit. Appearing with the victims was none other than that publicity whore, attorney Gloria Allred. I actually wanted to see where this was going but the phone rang and I missed the story.
I’d heard enough, though. What the hell is the matter with people in this country (my European friends are baffled by America’s love of litigation)? We sue for every little thing. Sure Richards was/is an ass and hopefully his hateful outburst will kill his comedy career, but does this really warrant a lawsuit? If we sued every jerk that ever called someone a nasty name, or said something stupid no one would ever set foot outside of a court room. It’s not nice to call people names, but it’s not illegal to be a moron; if it were the prisons would be full and the streets (and the White House) would be nearly empty. What are the damages suffered by these poor victims? I did hear one of the women say she had never experienced racism before. Give me a break! I don’t think there is a black person (or any non-white) in America who hasn’t been called a nasty name, or experienced some form of racism. What is more likely is that any previous encounters were with bigots whose pockets weren’t as deep as those of Michael Richards. Since I didn’t see the show I don’t know what damages are being claimed but let me guess. The victims of the name calling are suffering severe psychological trauma, that is somehow now affecting their abilities to lead a normal life, sleep at night, be employed, and have sex.
I wonder if there is a statute of limitations on the CRIME of name calling. I need to check this out, because if I think about it I bet I can compile a list of everyone who ever called me a nasty name or said something nasty to me when I was in grade school. An internet search might be able to locate them, surely by now some of them have become very financially successful, and I can get Ms. Allred to file lawsuits against them, claiming that everything that has ever gone wrong in my life is a direct result of their childhood cruelty.
1 Comment »
- Dios nos libre de los populismos | Maikelnai's blog on Republican Revolt
- Honjii on Two pigeons, a grackle, and a Snickers bar
- What The Hell on Two pigeons, a grackle, and a Snickers bar
- mothers day ncert on End Oil Speculation Act of 2008 (Introduced in Senate)
- buy bitcoin with visa debit card on End Oil Speculation Act of 2008 (Introduced in Senate)
You’re welcome to follow, but I’m not really going anywhere.
- #TRUMP https://t.co/qpWBqMHHbD 1 day ago
- #donaldtrump https://t.co/pScGe9QmRV 2 weeks ago
- #donaldtrump #SyriaStrikes https://t.co/FLCPN3OISX 2 weeks ago
- @protctdemocracy @POTUS What else can we expect from a dictator who is either ignorant of or has no regard for law. 2 weeks ago
- so many #lies #donaldteramp he can't even remember what he said axios.com/trumps-2013-tw… 3 weeks ago
- #realdonaldtrump https://t.co/Iz3TkdcKZd 3 weeks ago
- @BettyBowers can't even joke about this, he is completely repulsive, disgusting, makes me want to vomit 3 weeks ago
- @realDonaldTrump #immigration You know we have three other borders, right? 3 weeks ago
- #realdonaldtrump https://t.co/g2gtYSARTa 3 weeks ago
Board Certified Blogger
One Lovely Blog Award
Poulet-Sir Prize AwardThis much coveted award is for bloggers who have a sense of humor, are smarter than a and not too chicken to say what they think. Feel free to award this to any blogger you feel is deserving of such a prestigious award. Rules: 1. Proudly display the award on your blog with a link back to Honjii and a link back to the blogger, along with his/her name, who chose to award your blog. 2. Bestow this award, along with the rules, on a minimum of three blogs. 3. Contact the bloggers you've chosen and let them know of their incredibly life-altering good news. 4. Swear on your first born, or whatever you hold dear, never to mention these blogging awards are created by other self-serving bloggers trying to get more traffic altruistic bloggers who wish nothing more than acknowledging a blog well done.
Mad as Hell Doctors
Americans for Separation of Church & State
Feul My Blog
Copyright Notice© Honjii Li and Honjii's Harangues, 2012. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Honjii Li and Honjii's Harangues with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.