Whale vs. Jackass (Whale 1, Jackass 0 )March 14, 2007 at 5:53 am | Posted in animals, News, social comment, stupidity | 4 Comments
As I was getting ready to leave the house, I switched on the television to get the weather report. I got a morning show that was covering a story about a man injured after he (and companions) paid to swim with humpback whales in the Dominican Republic. I don’t think the whales received any of the money or were even consulted.
The incident caught on video, shows a mother, with a calf on her back, sleeping near the water’s surface as the diver approaches close enough to touch the whales. What happened next is what anyone with half an ounce of common sense would expect; mom protected her baby from the intruder by slapping him with her tail. You could hear the bone crack as his leg broke. YOU GO WHALES! I think he got exactly what he deserved, and is lucky not to have been hurt worse.
The video then cuts to the boat, where the man is being transported to the hospital some distance away, where he underwent surgery under less than ideal conditions.
What I saw, to re-cap, was someone who wanted to swim with the whales, who had no respect for these magnificent creatures, and suffered the consequences for his arrogance and stupidity. When interviewed the man’s description of his ordeal was that he might have gotten too close and spooked the baby, which in turn spooked the mom causing her to hit him with her tail. He went on to talk about how he had to endure a long boat trip, in excruciating pain, to a primitive hospital. There he endured (yeah, he kept using the word endured, poor thing) three hours of surgery, where having no power tools, doctors sawed through the bone with a handsaw and used a hammer to pound the rod into the bone all while he was awake. Listening to him recount the story, I believe he felt like he’d been victimized.
He told the reporter that he would go back and, once again, swim with the whales. Too bad the mom’s tail didn’t get his head, might have knocked some sense into him. Even after this, he still doesn’t get it. If he didn’t have any respect for these animals, or nature in general, one would hope this experience might be a wake-up call. Some people just want what they want and anything else be damned. Now he has video, pictures, and an adventure to brag about to his friends and that is what really matters isn’t it?
According to the report, the Dominican is either the only place, or one of a small handful of places, where swimming with whales is legal. As they are endangered, it is believed this practice puts the humpbacks continued existence in further peril.
4 Comments »
- Dios nos libre de los populismos | Maikelnai's blog on Republican Revolt
- Honjii on Two pigeons, a grackle, and a Snickers bar
- What The Hell on Two pigeons, a grackle, and a Snickers bar
- mothers day ncert on End Oil Speculation Act of 2008 (Introduced in Senate)
- buy bitcoin with visa debit card on End Oil Speculation Act of 2008 (Introduced in Senate)
You’re welcome to follow, but I’m not really going anywhere.
- #TRUMP https://t.co/qpWBqMHHbD 5 days ago
- #donaldtrump https://t.co/pScGe9QmRV 2 weeks ago
- #donaldtrump #SyriaStrikes https://t.co/FLCPN3OISX 3 weeks ago
- @protctdemocracy @POTUS What else can we expect from a dictator who is either ignorant of or has no regard for law. 3 weeks ago
- so many #lies #donaldteramp he can't even remember what he said axios.com/trumps-2013-tw… 3 weeks ago
- #realdonaldtrump https://t.co/Iz3TkdcKZd 3 weeks ago
- @BettyBowers can't even joke about this, he is completely repulsive, disgusting, makes me want to vomit 3 weeks ago
- @realDonaldTrump #immigration You know we have three other borders, right? 3 weeks ago
- #realdonaldtrump https://t.co/g2gtYSARTa 1 month ago
Board Certified Blogger
One Lovely Blog Award
Poulet-Sir Prize AwardThis much coveted award is for bloggers who have a sense of humor, are smarter than a and not too chicken to say what they think. Feel free to award this to any blogger you feel is deserving of such a prestigious award. Rules: 1. Proudly display the award on your blog with a link back to Honjii and a link back to the blogger, along with his/her name, who chose to award your blog. 2. Bestow this award, along with the rules, on a minimum of three blogs. 3. Contact the bloggers you've chosen and let them know of their incredibly life-altering good news. 4. Swear on your first born, or whatever you hold dear, never to mention these blogging awards are created by other self-serving bloggers trying to get more traffic altruistic bloggers who wish nothing more than acknowledging a blog well done.
Mad as Hell Doctors
Americans for Separation of Church & State
Feul My Blog
Copyright Notice© Honjii Li and Honjii's Harangues, 2012. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Honjii Li and Honjii's Harangues with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.